Named for prominent African Americans Benjamin Banneker and Frederick Douglass, both born in Maryland, the Banneker-Douglass Museum is housed in the former Mount Moriah African Methodist Episcopal Church, built in 1875 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum is dedicated to documenting, interpreting, and promoting African American history and culture and serves as the state’s official museum of African American heritage.
A major addition, consisting of three stories plus a basement, expanded the Gothic Revival-style building, which is located on a compact site in the Colonial Annapolis Historic District. The expansion has allowed the museum to offer a variety of new and adaptive programming, including rotating exhibits, conferences, workshops, and training sessions. The basement houses mechanical/electrical equipment and the first and second levels offer gallery space, multipurpose event space, and visitor amenities. The third floor accommodates offices, workrooms, and archival storage. The project also included the renovation of the first floor of the historic structure.